Window cleaning is one of those chores that define spring cleaning but is often avoided. Not only can window washing be labor-intensive, but we often don’t get the sparkling results we desire. Our spring cleaning tips for windows not only show you how to achieve streak-free windows, but also how to keep up with complete window maintenance.
Spring Cleaning Tips for Windows That Bring Year-Round Benefits
While clean windows are attractive, knowing how to maintain your home windows makes then more energy-efficient, increasing the value of your home. From maintaining wood window frames to blocking summer’s heat, we’ll also discuss how to capitalize on your windows’ function as well as appearance.
Clean Your Windows Without Leaving Streaks
If you knew how to achieve great results window washing could be a highlight of spring cleaning. Our window cleaning tips and tricks show you how to get professional-grade sparkle with basic home ingredients:
Cleaning the Exterior
- Mix a 1:1 solution of white vinegar and hot water
- Dip a squeegee or large sponge in the solution and apply it to the window
- Starting at the top of the window wipe downward in even strokes, wiping the squeegee after each stroke
- Repeat as needed until window is dry, wiping excess moisture away with a microfiber cloth
Cleaning the Interior
- Adjust the solution to 1 part white vinegar, 4-8 parts water and pour it in a spray bottle
- Spray window with solution and wipe in a straight line with a microfiber cloth, side to side then up and down
- Frame all four corners with the cloth
How to Clean Your Upstairs Windows
Spring cleaning tips for windows never include endangering yourself. If cleaning your upstairs windows involves high ladders or leaning precariously out the window we recommend these measures:
- Hire a professional window cleaning service. This can be especially helpful for multi-story homes.
- Utilize a magnetic window cleaner to clean the exterior of the window from safely inside.
Maintain Your Windows Properly
Window repair and maintenance is an important part of spring cleaning tips for windows. These yearly assessments can save costly repairs down the road and improve your home’s efficiency:
- Inspect windows for water damage, cracks, or peeling.
- Clean the window tracks with a soft, dry brush and, if necessary, soap and water. Use only oil-free lubricant if needed.
- Wipe down window frames with a soft cloth and/or soap and water.
- Examine screens, repairing or replacing as needed.
- Assess window caulking and sealing, replacing if necessary.
Wooden Window Maintenance Tips
Wooden windows can provide a classic aesthetic but require specific maintenance to uphold their appeal. These wooden window maintenance tips help preserve this natural material and extend the life of the window:
- Wipe away loose dust and dirt from the frame with a dry cloth.
- Scrub the frame with a damp, soapy cloth, adding a few drops of commercial window cleaner if you prefer.
- Replace any damaged caulking.
Block the Heat During Summer
Though the heat of Sacramento’s summer sun has yet to return you’ll be feeling it through your windows soon enough. We suggest these tips to block the heat during summer and keep your home cool:
- Install insulated window shades: the honeycomb pattern traps heat, lessening the amount that enters the house.
- Use blackout curtains: they can improve energy efficiency by as much as 25%.
- Install weather stripping: make sure you use the right type for your climate and assess yearly for repair or replacement.
- Apply window film: this material not only blocks heat, but also UV rays and still allows for visibility.
- Window replacement: if your windows are old or in a state of disrepair replacement may be the most energy-efficient option.
Glass West is here to assist with all window repair and replacement services. From the most effective spring cleaning tips for windows to in-depth repairs, we can address any need!